All ProductsMiscellaneousCitric Acid

Citric Acid

packstyle
1 lb bag $4.95
packstyle
5 lb bag $24.75

Low Cost Essentials

If you're looking to keep the pantry stocked during these uncertain times, we have special pricing on some basics for you here.

Free Shipping
on Orders Over $60 in the Continental US

Citric Acid

Citric acid might not be a common ingredient in your recipes, but it is a compound naturally found in some fruits like lemon, lime, grapefruits and oranges, some berries, and even tomatoes. It has a sour and tart flavor and is a good alternative to salt. It can also help to emulsify or thicken recipes. Because it is a preservative you can use it when canning apples, peaches, pears, or other fruits.

Citric Acid powder was extracted from fruits in the 1780s. But by the 1900s it was discovered that a specific type of black mold that feeds on sugar also produces citric acid. Thus creating the preferred method of production today. 70% of citric acid created today is used in the food industry to add flavor, increase acidity, and preserve a variety of ingredients including candies, sodas, and other treats. The other 30% is used in cleaning agents and disinfectants and to preserve or stabilize medicine.

There are many health benefits associate with citric acid:

It improves nutrient absorption in your body making it easier for your body to absorb minerals.

It metabolizes energy by aiding the transformating of food into energy.

It helps protect against the formation of kidney stones. Citric acid is a vital ingredient in canned goods to help prevent Clostridium botulinum from producing which causes a serious food born illness called botulism. Botulism is a toxin that attacks your body’s nerves and causes weak muscles and difficulty breathing.

It is important to take care when handling citric acid it. Wash your hands after use to avoid getting skin or eye irritation.

Ingredients: Citric Acid Anhydrous